Last night I tried out another Insanity DVD. This time it was the Insanity Cardio Power & Resistance workout.
Here’s a look at what the DVD looks like…
After pushing through yesterday’s Insanity – Plyometric Cardio Circuit DVD, I knew that today was going to be another challenge. I weight trained back and biceps at the gym about 1 1/2 hours prior to doing this DVD, so my muscles were already a bit worked…not to mention still sore from yesterday’s Insanity workout.
I am going to review my experience I had with this workout DVD. I’ll give a summary of what was done and how I liked it. I hope this helps someone out who is looking into doing the Insanity DVD and is looking for a review
This DVD took 40 minutes to complete. The 40 minutes include the warm up and cool down.
Warm Up: Like the Plyometric Cardio Circuits DVD from yesterday, this warm-up was intense once again. My heart rate got up to 180 bmp just during the warm-up!!! 180 is about 93% of my maximum heart rate! Holy smokes! When I saw that number, I knew I needed to take it down a notch before I have a heart attack…in a WARM UP! Normally, I would think I was super out of shape or just straight up lame, but this isn’t the case for Insanity..it really is Insanity..even the warm up!
The warm up consisted of:
- Jogging: jogging in place.
- Power Jacks: Similar to a jumping jack but you come down into a deep squat.
- Side Jumps: Jumping from side to side, using your outside leg to power you through the jump.
- Step to Knee Up: Take a few quick steps to the side and pull your inside knee to your chest, then go back the opposite way and lift your other knee.
- Butt Kicks: Jog in place while kicking your heels to your butt.
- High Knees: Jog in place while raising your knees in front of you.
- Vertical Jumps: Jump high and reach arms in air, come down to a deep squat.
We completed the warm up 3 times before we were able to have our first water break (which is only about 15 seconds long)
Stretch: Right after the warm-up and a quick sip of water, you go into the pre-workout stretch segment. The entire time I was stretching, I had sweat dripping down my face and my heart rate was dropping.
Round 1: This round lasted about 2 minutes. It is done three times (with a water break in between each time), increasing intensity each time.
Round1 consisted of:
- Power Jumps: Squat down and jump as high as you can while raising your knees to your chest each time. Keep your hands around the hip level and try to hit your knees to your hands each time.
- Belt Kicks: With your hands on hips, squat and kick with one leg. Then squat and kick with alternate leg.
- Hit The Floor: Side to side lunges while touching the floor at each side.
- V Push-Ups: Hands and feet are on the ground, butt in the air to form a “V”. You’ll point your fingers towards each other on the floor and keep your back legs straight. Your head will be above your hands. Lower your head to the ground and do pushups in this position to work the shoulders.
30 second water break
Repeat Round 1 three times (raising intensity each time).
Before moving to Round 2, you get to do a Bonus Move…lucky you!!!!
Round 1 Bonus Move: Tricep Dips: Get on the floor with palms behind you and feet flat on the floor (like a crab walk). Your butt will be low to the floor without touching. Bend your arms out so that you lower down and do a reverse push-up that works your triceps. You’ll do this bonus move for 30 seconds.
Round One Complete!!!
Round 2: This round consists of three 2 minute workout circuits with water breaks between each circuit followed by one bonus move.
Round 2 consisted of:
- Hurdle Jumps: Sprint in place, jump to the side, sprint in place jump to other side.
- Monkey Jumps: Raise Arms in air, squat and jump to your right. Raise arms in air, squat and jump backwards. Raise arms in air, squat and jump to the left. Raise arms in air, squat and jump forward. This makes a square pattern of jumps.
- Moving Push-Ups: Do a push-up, slide one arm to the right, do a push-up and slide other arm to right. Go a couple to the right and then a couple to the left.
- Floor Sprints: While still in the push-up position, bring each foot forward and back as if you were running in place with just your feet.
30 second water break.
Repeat Round 2 three times (raising intensity each time).
You get to do one more Bonus Move before you’re done!
Round 2 Bonus Move: Hop Squats to Push-ups: You’ll do 8 hop squats in a row (hop squats are a wide stance squat) followed by 8 push-ups. You’ll continue this sequence for about one minute.
Round 2 DONE!
Now it was time for a cool-down and stretch.
Stretch: You’ll do similar stretches that were done in in the beginning stretch session.
Similar to the Plyometric Cardio Circuits DVD, this was a hard workout. It had my heart rate HIGH, sweat dripping and I found myself losing the tank top and working out in a sports bra again. I understand now why the girls in the video are all in sports bras with no shirts. You get your sweat on!!!!!!
Here’s a look at the statistics of my workout….
Time: About 40 minutes
Calories Burned: 405
Average Heart Rate: 160
Maximum Heart Rate: 181
Those statistics are similar to as if I were running 4 miles in 40 minutes. I’d much rather do Insanity any day than suffer the boring “dread-mill” for 4 miles. The DVD kept my mind entertained and my heart rate up in the clouds!
If you’ve ever done this DVD, what did you think of it? Feel free to leave your reviews and comments!